Located in a seaside suburb of Sydney, the Old Library was originally a Methodist church build circa 1908, and went on to be the shire library in the 1970’s. The original building had great bones and an existing level of texture from its exposed beams and timber lining. Working within the voluminous spaces the designer created a sense of intimacy and gathering through creating a series of rooms within rooms and spaces within spaces. Custom furniture pieces and a natural palette of oak, linen, white timber and blackened steel contribute to the relaxed and somewhat domestic space that is described as a ‘book house’.
Within a modest palette of black, white and pale timber tones the designer has created a restaurant environment that harmoniously incorporates references to the building’s past, while firmly grounding the establishment in its modern beachside location. The interior of restaurant is spacious with the internal pitch of the ceiling exposed. Natural linen upholstery and drapery, teamed with neutral and washed shades, create a feeling of warmth and comfort while providing a backdrop to the grander elements of the design and clad in wide boards painted white, which are broken by long vertical skylights. The look is slightly ‘American East Coast’ yet sits just as comfortably in its Southern Sydney beach environment. Images from Facebook.